Match Report
Warwick School Boys-U15A vs  RGS Worcester
On: Saturday, 24 Apr 2021
Venue: at Home

After two weeks of unrelentingly pleasant weather it would have been all too typical had the first day of the cricket season been plagued by rain, sleet or biting wind as winter's grip returned, if only for twenty-four hours. It was thus with some trepidation that I rose to meet the day. Thankfully such fears were misplaced. The day dawned with clear blue skies and balmy spring warmth: perfect weather for the return of cricket after 21 long months of absence from the playing fields of Warwick School. Despite some inevitable rustiness the standard of cricket matched the weather as Warwick ran out the victors against RGS Worcester.

Having won the toss Denton elected to field. This proved a wise decision as it allowed the players to ease themselves back into competitive cricket after these long months of sporting repose. Our ground fielding was good and we made life difficult for the RGS openers who, despite a strong opening stand of 48 never really got momentum into their innings as Panesar's three overs for eight gave them little to work upon. It would be Singh-Maan (2-0-8-1) on debut who made the breakthrough, inducing McMillan to spoon a catch to Denton at cover for 26. This would prove to be the top score of the innings as we now proceeded to take wickets at regular intervals. Macro (6-2-17-4) being the main threat, though he benefited from the able assistance in the field provided by Panesar to remove the other opener. From one of Macro's rare loose deliveries Crowther-Green swiveled and pulled into the deep. Panesar swooped forwards to clutch the ball but as he met the ground the ball slipped free; reacting quickly he stuck out a hand and snatched the ball in his fingertips a quarter of an inch from the greensward. It was a fine fielder's wicket but Macro's others fully belonged to the bowler. He used his flight and guile to bowl two opposition batsmen in successive deliveries, with a third falling in similar fashion soon after. With Padda trapping the nuggety number four LBW with his opening delivery and the number seven cleaned bowled with the first ball of his next over the RGS middle order had been blown away - numbers three to seven banking just 23 runs between them. Honourable mention must also go to Sheehan who, whilst wicketless, helped to dry up the runs alongside his spin partner, Macro. RGS were tottering at this point but some lower order resistance by the powerful Woolhouse (22*) and Ladd (11 - before being neatly bowled by Wallis) helped them to a respectable, though still rather under-par, total of 133, though not before Sarson-Hirst had effected a spectacular run out from a good 30 yards distance with but a single stump to aim at.

Any initial fears about chasing down such a moderate total were rapidly put to bed by the excellent start made to the Warwick innings. Jones batted beautifully: solid in defence but punishing any RGS bowler who dropped the ball short or wide. He raced to his fifty in just 33 deliveries supported by the more circumspect Sarson-Hirst. For a long time it looked like they would see us home with all ten wickets in hand but, alas, it was not to be. Jones misjudged the pace of the new bowler, Timmington, popping up a simple catch to close cover off a leading edge for a 59 scored at considerably better than a run a ball, yet consisting entirely of classical cricket strokes. Sarson-Hirst and Denton continued the good work and we were within a couple of runs of victory when Sarson-Hirst chipped a catch to mid on for 29 and Denton followed a run later for 26 - a fine innings being only partly spoilt by its ignominious ending as he unsuccessfully attempted to scoop a straight ball over his head and was adjudged LBW. The end was not long coming, however, and Warwick were able to celebrate a job well-done with over 12 overs still left in the tank.

A promising start to the season and hopefully a sign of things to come.