Match Report
Warwick School Boys-U15B vs  Bloxham School
On: Saturday, 11 May 2019
Venue: Away

A fantastic game between two closely matched teams ended in a narrow victory for Warwick, but only after a number of fascinating twists and turns on the journey.

Having won the toss we elected to insert Bloxham hoping to make the most of the intially wet conditions. Bloxham started well, taking thirteen off the first two overs of Coane and Heath, before we were able to establish some control, restricting them to just ten from the next four overs. A wicket continued to eluded us however, and after a couple of expensive overs from Nitzsche-Giles and Sharp, Bloxham had laid a strong foundation in reaching 44 off eight overs. Importantly however Sharp had managed to trap one of the openers LBW in the midst of his ten run over, and this gave us an opening. The next eight overs saw Bloxham push on to 77, but at the cost of five more wickets, with Rawson (5-1-19-4) and Lawson (4-0-14-1) doing much of the damage, though the run out of Bloxham's top scoring number five, Boardman (20), reflected our continued improvements in the field. Hopes that we would now run through the lower order were stymied by resistance from Ash and Banks who managed to push the score up to 94, aided by a policy of constantly rotating our bowlers rather than letting our most effective bowlers get into their spells. Eventually Rawson returned to make the breakthough, aided by a good catch from Coane, who then bowled the other set batsman to record figures of 3 overs, one wicket for eleven runs. The final two wickets fell in successive balls to the returning Sharp, who recovered from his poor first over to post the rather more impressive figures of four overs, three wickets for 14 runs.

Our run chase started badly as Orton popped up a return catch in the first over to be dismissed for a duck. We then settled into a useful partnership between Heath and Sharp, which was broken with the score on twenty when Heath inexplicably decided to play an ugly hoik across the line to miss a straight ball. The pitch was misbehaving a little, with variable bounce and the key was to play straight, especially to anything on the stumps. Sharp and Veys looked to do this, and managed to push us to 35 before Sharp (13) was trapped LBW sparking a mini-collapse. Veys (12) somehow managed to slap a poor ball straight to a fielder before Lawson played a lazy swing to offer square leg a straightforward catch. Suddenly we were tottering at 44 for 5. Rawson and Coane batted well to start the rebuilding work, but when Rawson (10) was yorked with the score on 66 and a third of the runs still required there was a fear that the pendulum might have swung decisively towards Bloxham. This was to reckon without Coane and Nitzsche-Giles who showed plenty of the top order batsmen how it should be done, blocking the straight balls and attacking any loose bowling which Bloxham offered up. Nitzsche-Giles was looking particularly strong, pulling or sweeping away anything on his legs and he seemed set fair to ease us to victory before Coane called him through for second run which would have been risky even if he had run the first at full pelt and turned instantly. As he had run five feet past the stumps this turned into a suicidal effort, in spite of a valiant dive: gone for 21. When Coane then decided to play completely against the manner which had got him to this point by swinging across a straight one to be bowled for ten, we were still six runs short and with only two men left. To make matters worse the rain was now falling heavily. Thankfully Wilde and Stride batted sensibly, and aided by two wides and four byes we were able to sneak over the line to win this game of many twists and turns.